Manifesto for the Indian Widow Who Wishes to Live
from A History of The Care & Treatment of Unnatural Beasts
1. You are hereby awarded the honorary title of Khasma-nu-khaani. Husband-Eater.
2. Your late husband’s family may employ this salutation as a form of address/taunt/curse at their pleasure.
3. You belong to that rare order of cannibals who devour their destined mates as an essential source of protein [ref. Praying-Mantis].
4. The women of your husband’s household shall bleach all evidence of matrimony from your body. This dictates that you:
4.1. molt the plumage of all colored garments: become the un-feathered beast / best flightless.
4.2 sheath yourself in white attire for the rest of your days.
4.3. nevermore jangle glass bangles / silver toe-rings / or hands sunset with henna.
5. Your hair shall be shorn to the…